The Streator Public Library is a US Landmark Carnegie facility that was constructed in 1903. The Fusch murals were painted on leather in a local shop and installed in 1905. The original grand stair case, woodwork, shelves, and stained glass are still in place. Many of the original oak tables are still utilized.
The new construction blends well with the original facility. This project offers handicap access to the entire facility, including new restrooms. The new addition has allowed space for a teen and large print area. The upper level is used as a multi-function space for reading, study groups and programs. This inviting space offers a wonderful view over Bridge Street.
In the summer of 2013 the new front desk and work area was dedicated in memory of Mr. Endres parents. Thanks to his generous donation the staff has a beautiful, functional work space. The funding also helped to offset the cost of the security system.
The following year the library received the"Digital Divide" grant to purchase 10 new computers and a scanner.