US Landmark Carnegie Library
The Streator Public Library is a US Landmark Carnegie facility that was constructed in 1903. The Fuchs murals that were installed, around the interior of the lower dome,
were painted on leather in a local shop and installed in 1905.
The original grand stair case, woodwork, shelves, and stained glass are still in place.
Many of the original oak tables are still utilized.
The 2011 construction blends well with the original facility.
This project brought handicap access to the entire facility.
It also included new restrooms on the main floor.
The addition has allowed space for a teen and large print area.
The upper level is used as a multi-function space for reading, study groups and programs.
This inviting space offers a wonderful view over Bridge Street.
In the summer of 2013 the new front desk and work area was dedicated in memory of Mr. Endres' parents.
Thanks to his generous donation the staff has a beautiful, functional work space.
The funding also helped to offset the cost of the security system.
In 2014 the library received the "Digital Divide" grant to purchase 10 new computers and a scanner.
The library received "Back to Books" grants in 2014, 2018 and 2020.
Grant funding to purchase of $2500 of books for the teens in the community was awarded in 2014.
Funding to purchase of $4000 of picture books for the children's room was received in 2014.
The 2020 $3000 grant funding covered the purchase of chapter books for children.
The library received a $50,000 donation in Memory of Mr. Bruce Hart from his loving wife Janice Hart in 2017 and 2018 for the renovation of the children's room, and the Technology Center.
The library received a private donation for the installation of the carpeting in the Ralph Plum Room in 2019.